Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning." Proverbs 9:9 (NIV)
- Pray, asking God to speak to you through His Word.
- Read the selected passage in several translations.
- Look for a central truth of the passage to be discussed.
- Pray for group members.
- Begin consulting a Bible dictionary and other study tools.
- Interact with other group leaders who have taught this material. Involve your apprentice to lead the Bible study with you.
- Pray for other group leaders.
- Read other commentaries.
- Reflect on the needs of the group members and possible learning goals for the study.
- Pray for your church, the pastor and staff.
- Clarify your teaching goal. Write it out.
- Brainstorm possible interactive learning activities.
- Pray for the lesson to come together.
- Read through the Scripture passage again.
- Write out questions you may have about the passage.
- Pray for guests who have visited your group.
- Write out learning activities.
- Complete a detailed lesson plan.
SMALL GROUP MEETING DAY
- Pray, asking God to bless your preparation as you and your apprentice lead the group in Bible study.
- Gather your materials for the Bible study.
- Rehearse in your mind how to progress step by step.